By Millicent Umoru-O
No fewer than forty respected stakeholders of the National Youth Council of Nigeria ( NYCN) with proven integrity, capacity, resourceful and experience in matters of the council and the 36 state and FCT Chairmen represented by Dr Fabong Jemchan Plateau state NYCN Chairman as well Chairman of Chairmen Forum ( C-in-C) have passed a vote of confidence on the Chairman, Board of Trustee(BoT) of the council.
They passed the resolution during 5-hours meeting, tagged “Forty wise men”,on Thursday, monitored by Splash News in Abuja, with the aim of proffering a solution to the lingering leadership crisis in the council
Speaking at the occasion,Dr Dickson Akoh, Chairman,BoT of NYCN as well the convener of the wise men meeting, expressed concern over the crisis bedeviling the council.
He noted that the decade old crisis bedevilling the affairs of the council was no longer a classified intelligence but a matter already lying bare in the public domain
Akoh said that the state of NYCN was and embarrassment to all stakeholders, hence the need for the gathering of the 40 selected wise men
The BoT Chairman said that the outcome of the meeting would become a reference point in the distance or nearest future, “when discussion as to the emancipation of the council from the crippling claws of this needless and unprofitable crisis is placed on the table.”
The Forty wise men therefore, unanimously chose Rt. Honourable Dickson Sule to be the Chairman and Abdul-jabar Ayelaagbe as Secretary of the meeting.
At the end their communique signed by the Chairman and secretary, the meeting resolved that:
- Commends the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammodu Buhari, GCFR for approving N75 Billion National Youth Investment Fund (NYIF) and the Honouarble Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr Sunday Dare for facilitating same.
- The meeting condemned the incessant kidnapping and killings of Nigerians by unknown banditry. It urged Federal Government and relevant security agencies to up their games in protecting lives and properties of Nigerians;
- Urged Nigerians especially the youths to adhere strictly to all government laid down protocols to contain COVID 19 and free our country of the pandemic
- That a vote of confidence was passed on the Board of Trustees (BOT) ably led by Amb. (Dr) Dickson Akoh as the only duly legally certified BOT as recognized by the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC),
AS THERE EXISTS NO OTHER CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION FROM THE CAC.
- That there is no legally recognized National Executive Council (NEC) for the Council at the moment until a non-elective congress is held in line with
ARTICLE 10(10.1) OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE YOUTH COUNCIL.
- That the leaders of the Council meet with aggrieved parties for possible resolution of all lingering crisis and reconciliation.
- That the BOT should as a matter of urgent national importance convene a National Management Committee meeting in line with the provision of NYCN Constitution, SINCE THERE EXISTS NO NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL AT THE MOMENT.
- That the National Management Committee meets and AGREE ON A DATE for a Non-Elective Congress;
WHEREIN CONGRESS PLANNING COMMITTEE AND ELECTORAL COMMITTEE WILL CONSTITUTED AND A DATE AGREED FOR A VALID ELECTIVE CONGRESS.
- In line with the landmark subsisting judgment of the Federal High Court and relevant provisions of the National Youth Policy, the Federal Ministry of Youth Development should restrain itself to supervisory role and provisions of logistics supports to NYCN.